LifeLabOnline Privacy Statement
The University of Southampton’s LifeLab work-stream engages in a broad range of activities with children and young people to provide opportunities for them to understand the science behind the health messages in order to know why choices they make at
a young age are important for their future health. We also aim to provide opportunities for children and young people to understand more about the different career opportunities available to them using science. We value your privacy and we recognise
the need to process your personal data in a fair and lawful manner. The University is the data controller, which means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use data about you. You are being made available this privacy notice
because you have consented to be added to one of our mailing lists. It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided
under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
Data refers to the personal information that we hold about you from which you can be identified (either alone, or in combination with other data available to the University). A list of the types of personal data we collect is set out below. Processing
means doing anything with your personal data, such as collecting, recording, or holding the data, as well as disclosing, destroying, or using the data in any way.
We keep this Privacy Notice under regular review and it may be amended from time to time. You can obtain an up to date version by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. DATA PROTECTION PRINCIPLES
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your personal data will be:
· Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
· Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
· Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes. Accurate and kept up to date.
· Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
· Kept securely.
2. THE KIND OF DATA WE PROCESS AND HOLD ABOUT YOU
To enable us to maintain contact with you, to inform you about opportunities for you, the child/young person in your care, or your students to engage with LifeLab (e.g. Ambassador programme, Summer School, Showcase events, LifeLab teaching programme,
LifeLab research opportunities and other public engagement events) we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal data about you and/or the child/young person:
· The personal data you have provided including both your and the child/young person’s name, title, address and contact details, personal email address, date of birth, gender, name of current institution
of study and year.
· Any other personal data you provide to us including information about dietary requirements and allergies in respect of yourself or the child/young person.
· Records of all contact we have with you, the child/young person.
3. WHERE WE RECEIVE YOUR DATA FROM
We obtain your personal data directly from you. We will use this personal data to add you to our mailing list so that we can inform about opportunities for you or the child/young person to engage with LifeLab (e.g. the ambassador scheme, the
work experience scheme, the summer school, showcase events, LifeLab teaching programme, LifeLab research opportunities and other public engagement events).
4. PROCESSING FOR LIMITED PURPOSES
We will only process your, the child/young person’s personal data for the specific purpose or purposes that we tell you about, or if specifically permitted by the UK DPA or the Data Protection Act 2018 (depending on which is in force at the relevant
time), and will only process your, the child/young person’s personal data to the extent necessary for that specific purpose or purposes.
5. AUTOMATED DECISION MAKING
Neither you, or the child/young person will be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
6. ACCURATE DATA
We will keep the personal data we store about you, and/or the child/young person accurate and up to date as relevant to the purpose or purposes for which we process it. Personal data that is inaccurate or out of date will be destroyed. Please
notify us if your, or the child/young person’s personal details change or if personal data we hold is inaccurate.
7. DATA RETENTION
We will retain the personal data until the child/young person is no longer in full time education, you request your, the child/young person’s details to be deleted, or LifeLab ceases to exist (whichever comes first). After this period, we will
securely destroy your personal data in accordance with our data retention schedule.
8. RIGHTS OF ACCESS, CORRECTION, ERASURE AND RESTRICTION
Under certain circumstances, by law you, the child/young person have the right to: • Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold and to
check that we are lawfully processing it. If you would like to access your personal data please visit: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/about/governance/freedom-of-information.page.
Alternatively, you can email us at: email@example.com
· Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to ask us to correct any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you. Please notify us if your personal details
change or if data we hold about you is inaccurate.
· Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us
to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
· Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object
to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
· Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the
reason for processing it.
· Request the transfer of your personal data to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal data, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal data to another party, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. DATA SECURITY
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those
employees of the University who have a business need-to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
10. RIGHT TO WITHDRAW CONSENT
We ask you to provide consent to us processing your personal data for the purposes set out above [to add you to our mailing list so that we can inform about opportunities for you or your child to engage with LifeLab (e.g. the ambassador scheme,
the work experience scheme, the summer school, showcase events, the LifeLab teaching programme, LifeLab research opportunities and other public engagement events) You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing for that purpose
at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact: email@example.com. We will dispose of your personal data securely.
11. UNWANTED COMMUNICATIONS
We will, from time to time, contact you by email, post, and telephone, with your consent (when required). If at any stage you are concerned about the content of these communications e.g. unwanted marketing information or wish to change how we communicate
with you please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe. All electronic communication will be offered with an opt out opportunity as is required by EU and UK electronic privacy
12. FURTHER INFORMATION
We also have additional policies and guidelines available at:
If you are unhappy with the way that we have handled your personal data you can contact us at: [LifeLab, Mailpoint 847, Level D, Room LD150, South Lab
and Path Block, University Hospital Southampton SO16 6YD. Telephone 023 8120 8979]
Alternatively, you can contact the UK Information Commissioner’s Office. See their website at: https://ico.org.uk/. Our data controller registration number with the Information Commissioner’s Office